Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

God, Gaming and Thesis Writing

Last night I got the news that my Masters Thesis proposal has been accepted.

What this means is I get to start writing 40,000 words on my chosen topic starting now.

And my topic is (drum role please):

HOW BIBLICAL ETHICS IMPACTS THE WAY WE PLAY MASSIVE MULTI-PLAYER ONLINE GAMES (MMPOGS).

Ooooohhhh yeah, I get to study gaming people!

Unfortunately, due to the size of a thesis it is impossible for me to look at gaming in general, so I had to narrow it to MMPOG's only. But this includes things like World of Warcraft and Second life, both massive virtual worlds with thousands of players.

And you, you lucky people, will get to hear about it as I go along. I would love love love ideas, feedback, thoughts and musings on this as I go. I know there are a lot of gamers out there, tell me what you think about my stuff as I write it up. It may really help shape where I go with it.

The reason I picked this topic was really a bit of a journey for me. See, I am not a gamer!! I don't play video games or partake in online virtual worlds (apart from facebook games, but do they really count). It seems rather odd for me to focus on gaming when I have nothing to do with it. 

But I do through my husband, friends, church, and facebook friends. I know so many gamers. There are those like my hubby who play any game and don't care about whether it is right or not to run down a prostitute in GTA (grand Theft Auto) with your car as it is all only pixels anyway. Or there are others, like a friend of mine, who only ever play the hero first time through a game because they don't like being the 'bad guy'.

This resulted in many conversations. I questioned the use of violence in video games, and asked whether or not someone could justify violence even if it was on a screen. Debates ensued and this thesis topic was born.

See, where I come from is if Jesus is Lord of all, then he is Lord of all worlds, virtual or not. And if he is Lord of the virtual too, then surely the standards and ethics that we follow as Christians apply to the virtual as well as the real. If that is true, then surely we as Christians must critically engage with gaming and establish an understanding of biblical ethical conduct within the virtual world.

The reason that I have decided to go with MMPOG's is because they are where community has been redefined. Actions within MMPOG's affect other players, even if it is their avatars who are being directly involved. It is in these games that a separate reality, not a false reality, has been formed. I say this because for many people, these worlds are where they have their friends, community, social life, and sometimes businesses. The virtual world is their reality.

Because these worlds are reality for players, then there must be a way that a biblical ethical theory can apply to the actions within the worlds.

I hope all that made sense.

The big question that I usually get asked is "does this mean that gaming is bad?" or "are you going to say that Christians shouldn't game?"

Not at all! Just as there are some bad movies out there doesn't mean that Christians are banned from watching movies. What it does mean is that Christians need to be aware of the messages that are being portrayed. It means critically engaging and thinking through the issues that they portray. And, in extreme cases, using wisdom and not watching what is bad for you!!

The same goes for gaming. This is a fairly new industry and yet it has over taken the movie industry in sales and viewers. This means it is prolific in our world and should be taken seriously. As every (!!) NZ home with children under 18 has a gaming capable machine in it, it follows that the church engages with this and thinks about it very seriously.

Because if Christ is the Lord of our lives, then there shouldn't be an area where we can act contrary to what we believe.

The other section of my thesis is about forming a biblical ethic that engages both our actions and our thoughts (ie love God with your heart and mind and strength) and then applying that to gaming. I haven't really got to work on that part yet so that will be the musings of my next post.

See you next time :)

5 comments:

  1. This will be an interesting topic, Chrisine. I shall watch and read with interest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine. As a bit of a gamer myself, the thing that initially struck me as odd was the term MMPOG's - an acronym I've never come across before. Perhaps "MMO Games" would be better suited?

    A quick google search for "MMPOG" confirmed what I thought as google suggested I searched for MMOG instead, with MMPOG producing only 29,000 results. MMOG has nearly 4 million results, and MMO (the term most gamers would use, I think), produced a whopping 92 million results. Not an exact science, but thought it might be relevant.

    Do with it what you like :). All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon, that is really helpful. I got the acronym I am using from a book on WoW but it is good to know that there are more commonly used forms out there. I will look into it. Thanks very much :)

      Delete
  3. Remarkable article, it is particularly useful! I quietly began in this, and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Delights, keep doing more and extra impressive! gtracing gaming chair

    ReplyDelete