Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013

Jesus Goes Metal


Luke and I see eye to eye with most things. Except in our tastes of music.

We both have fairly eclectic tastes but that is where the similarity ends. 

I love musicals. My most played album is Les Mis (original London cast) followed closely by the soundtracks from 'Up' and 'LOTR'. Throw in a bit of Enya, Gregorian chanting, Adele and Dixie Chicks and I am a happy woman.

Luke on the other hand loves ambient music (Hammock) and metal music. His favourites are Periphery Trivium, August Burns Red...pretty much anything that is technical, loud, and has good break downs. I think understanding the lyrics is optional.

I do enjoy Killswitch Engage, Times of Grace, and various other metal bands but I very rarely listen to them, just as Luke appreciates Adele but it's not his first choice.

Luke is in a metal band called Lead Us Forth. I have been to some gigs, I support them completely, I am 100% behind these guys and their music. 

But I don't get it.



I don't understand music where you can't understand the lyrics. I don't get 'death pits' where young sweaty men run around smashing in to each other and 'dancing' in a way that looks strangely like punching the air. I don't understand cramming into a small dark room to listen to music that you have to wear ear plugs to enjoy.

It's a mystery to me.

I am intensely proud of my man and his band (collectively known as 'the boys').

There is something that I have noticed about metal bands. Apart from the mass facial hair, the tattoos, the stretched ears, and a lingo that only they understand, there is a movement that is happening in the metal scene that excites me no end.

There are so many Jesus freaks!

The Christian influence in the metal scene is massive and growing. 

The boys from NZ metal band 'Breathing Still'
If you have never seen a metal gig you are missing out. Even if you don't like music or sweaty teenagers, there is something so profound about the rawness of singing/screaming, the honesty of the lyrics and talks, and the complete abandon of the watchers as they go with the music.

I have watched young men yelling into microphones about injustice in the world. I have heard them talk about environmental issues. I have watched them scream with a raw pain about sickness, disease, and pain of others and of themselves.

There is something happening in the metal scene.

In a generation that is sick of people trying to sell them something, there are people who are being touched and reached by a music scene that doesn't paint issues to be pretty, doesn't avoid swear words in order to not offend others, that doesn't mince their words when it comes to the big issues. 

I may not understand it but it is happening.

And it is wonderful.

(This blog was inspired by the writings of Sam Hennesy. His blog can be here)

1 comment: