Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Not Like You (A Reflection on Racism)


You say they are not like you.

Why is that?
Is it because of skin colour
That they are not black?
Or because they aren't white it must mean they are poor
And you cannot relate to those people which
Struggle to provide everyday
For their families and children
Or those with no pay?
Does it make a difference to you
To know they have struggled?
That they have been brought low,
Financially humbled?
Does it matter if you're Caucasian,
Not Black, brown or Asian?
Can we not be family if we are not the same colouring?



That Indian woman in the diary I see every morning
Se is my sister, struggling
To feed her family though she works seven days
Treated like a machine because of her race.
That mid twenties Polynesian male on the tv
Who stole, fought, or some other stupidity
He is my brother, hurting
For lack of education and parenting
Treated like another statistic of our society.
A young teenage mum on the bus
Who we look down our noses at,
She is my sister, working
At being a child and a mum
Treated like a stupid ignorant bum.
Then there is the Asian couple
That get screamed at in the street
They are my family, lonely
Needing friends for their second daughter, that they refused to abort,
Treated like invaders who should be fought.



They may not be white but they are the same
They cry and they bleed and they carry their shame
Deep inside and act tough on the exterior
While we white folk act all superior
Because we aren't the minority
We 'belong' here
And secretly wish they, and their problems, would disappear.



You say they are not like you,
In some ways that is true
But I hold a truth that I want to share with you.
In Christ there is no black, white, Christian or Jew
There is only salvation and blessing too.
I am like you, I am human
I just look in a different direction.
Turn your eyes with me to behold him
And you will see
We are not that different.

No comments:

Post a Comment